Friday, December 9, 2011

My adventure in baking macaroons

Yes it was an adventure... a trial and error adventure!  I received this book as a gift (thanks Jyn) and I thought I'd give some recipes a shot. This was my second attempt to making macaroons and I think they're much better the second time around.  They say practice makes perfect so I think I better get on it.  
  

The process is fairly simple, but it needs to be precise.  Only 4 ingredients are needed; ground almonds, confectioners sugar, fine sugar and egg whites.  You beat the egg whites along with the fine sugar, to form a peak and then mix that mixture in with the confectioners sugar and ground almonds.  Simple enough right? I wish!  I also studied this video to help me out, but I didn't use their recipe.  I maybe should the next time around.      

After you pipe the macaroons, you let it sit out for about a half hour so they form "feet" when baked.  I took them out of the oven and saw their feet and thought, "SUCCESS!"  I made a white chocolate ganache filling to put inside, took a bite and yes.... they turned out fantastic!!!  


Don't these look beautiful?  I was so happy and proud!  Now I have to attempt it again and see if I get the same results!  Now you give it a try and let me know how it turns out!


Recipe taken from:
Macaroons-30 recipes for perfect bite-sized treats (with some minor tweaks)

3/4 cup ground almonds
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 extra large egg whites
1/4 cup superfine sugar

Place the ground almonds and confectioners sugar in a food processor and process for 15 seconds.  Put the mixture into a bowl.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place the egg whites in mixer and whip until holding soft peaks. Gradually add super fine sugar to make a firm, glossy meringue.  Using a spatula, fold the almond/sugar mixture into the meringue mixture.  Fold until all dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.  Do not over beat!  Put the batter into pastry bag fitted with 1/2 inch tip and pipe small circles onto your lined baking sheets.  Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.  Cool and peel from parchment paper.

Filling taken from:
Martha Stewart Cookbook  

8 ounces white chocolate morsels
3/4 cup heavy cream

Place chocolate in a mixing bowl where it can stand heat.  I used a stainless steel bowl.  Bring heavy cream to a boil and pour over chocolate.  Stir until chocolate is melting and smooth.  Once cooled, put desired amount on macaroons and serve.

And BTW- I'm not sure of the correct spelling.  I see "macaroons" and "macarons." Which one is it?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...